Eclipses and Ellipses

Put your ear to a life, any life, and there it is, the tell-tale tremolo, slur and slap of the unexpressed....Language makes me a stranger to my own life, forcing me to speak from both sides of my mouth. --Susan Mitchell, "Self-Portrait with Two Faces"

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Last Cubicle Shot



BJ P. took this shot last week for the LSB. My messy cubicle actually looks nice pala. (Ian, do you recognize the photos on the right side?) I'll miss this little space behind the department secretary.

* * *

Talked to my department head yesterday and told her, tentatively, that I wanted to take a break from teaching. She didn't flinch or react horrendously. She asked me what my plans were. I said that although I didn't get the scholarship I wanted (and here she commiserates with me) I still want to apply directly to a few universities for my MFA. Then she got excited and told me this is the perfect time to do that, then proceeded to give me all sorts of tips. I also told her I intend to write freelance in the meantime. I didn't tell her I'm tired of teaching, I didn't tell her I hate checking student compositions, I didn't tell her I've been delinquent this sem. Which makes me feel guilty, yes, but I do want to come back eventually. She said the department's always open to me.

So there. I'm still not sure if I've made the best decision, but it sure feels right.

* * *



Your Brain's Pattern



You have a dreamy mind, full of fancy and fantasy.

You have the ability to stay forever entertained with your thoughts.

People may say you're hard to read, but that's because you're so internally focused.

But when you do share what you're thinking, people are impressed with your imagination.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home