Three weeks until the end of the sem
| Your Inner Child Is Angry |
![]() You're not an angry person. But when you don't get your way, watch out. Like a very manipulative kid, you will get what you want. Even if it takes a little kicking and screaming. |
How strange. I *was* quite an angry child. More on this in another entry.
On another note, I'm seriously thinking about quitting teaching...for now. I think I've reached my saturation point after 2 1/2 years. Lines I would usually just laugh at (like gay comedians as having "hoarse whispers of broken manhood and blossoming femininity") make me turn murderous. It's not just the students, of course---who are a mix of smug, unmotivated, oblivious, and truly bright & promising. It's not just the tons of mediocre papers and the low pay. It's me realizing that, despite my good days, teaching and being a part of the academe may not really be *it* for me. I'd always suspected I was never scholarly or intellectual enough. I keep thinking of writing projects, of seeing immediate results, of not having to be responsible for the intellectual development of a bunch of people who are just 6 years younger than I am. Maybe it boils down to the fact that I have not yet found the grounding (or the maturity) to be a good teacher. At 23, I still don't know what I want to do with my life. And I want to find out and explore my options while I still have the youth and the energy to do so. On the other hand, my wanting to leave could also be another sign of immaturity, of lack of discipline and commitment, of irresponsible flightiness. My instinct tells me, though, that it's time for me to go.




4 Comments:
At 11:21 PM,
Mitzie said…
Naya! Uy, wag ka muna umalis sa Ateneo, kaka-start ko lang magtrabaho dito! =)
At 2:51 AM,
Ian Rosales Casocot said…
or it can be that, myth-wise, we are still jedis in training...with requisite backpains and lightsaber wounds. hehehe. there is actually a bright end to an academic life, and that's the goal i have in mind that makes me persevere: you know, when you've become a doctor and everything and you can then dictate what courses to take and how many students to teach and then you go to splendid paid sabbaticals and attend paid writers' retreats all over the world...that's the gold at the end of the rainbow. but right now, we have to do with being slaves to the system. i hope this helps? :)
At 2:14 AM,
ning said…
follow your instinct dear. i think you know what you want to do.
stop beating yourself up for not being happy about your work.
the nice thing about teaching that sometimes leaving it means if you go back, you'll be better at it.
At 10:18 PM,
the city reader said…
mitzie, too late. =)
ian, what if i don't know if i want a brilliant academic career? i just want an mfa first...
ning, thanks, i did follow my instinct. such a relief. =)
Post a Comment
<< Home