Eclipses and Ellipses

Put your ear to a life, any life, and there it is, the tell-tale tremolo, slur and slap of the unexpressed....Language makes me a stranger to my own life, forcing me to speak from both sides of my mouth. --Susan Mitchell, "Self-Portrait with Two Faces"

Monday, April 17, 2006

How to Escape from the Authorities


I dreamed I was at a rock concert with most of my high school Theresian classmates. They were acting all prim and proper in their uniforms, and I was acting out of character, waving my arms and knocking people over. When they started getting annoyed, I reached down and pulled my shirt and bra off and started jumping up and down. The song ended and everything was quiet and they were all staring at me. Two policemen arrived carrying a grimy white monobloc chair. They said they were going to arrest me and carry me, topless, on the monobloc towards the police car.

I grit my teeth and said as fiercely as I could, "Haha, wala kayong hawak sa akin, PANAGINIP lang kayo. Ganito, on the count of 3 magigising na ako. One, two, three..."

And I do wake up at 4:45 a.m., sweaty, like I've just danced my heart out at a concert.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home