Eclipses and Ellipses

Put your ear to a life, any life, and there it is, the tell-tale tremolo, slur and slap of the unexpressed....Language makes me a stranger to my own life, forcing me to speak from both sides of my mouth. --Susan Mitchell, "Self-Portrait with Two Faces"

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

looking back

Triggered by a surprise e-mail and link from elusive and extremely talented co-fellow Gil, I remembered that it's been five years since my UP writers workshop in Baguio. Here are some pictures I dug up:



1. The UP38 batch wearing workshop shirts on the steps of Villa Romana



2. Fellows' Night, when I was awarded the "pajama alcoholic (pasuray-suray pa) queen" sash. Haha.



3. The boys dancing to The Doors' "Light My Fire"

Haha. I remember drinking in nipa huts, chimes and a cliff, taking the ukay-ukay by storm, me and a certain
sistah attending morning sessions unbathed, sharing a bathroom with ten guys, trudging down a hill to get Good Shepherd goodies, Mark and his knit hats, Allan and his black shirts, Cel singing Sinead's version of "Nothing Compares To You" with Cos on bongos, the smell of Grey Flannel, Egay getting drunk, Kathy singing "Kiss Me," Gerry playing big brother, and other things that started a cycle of eventful summers and earned me a lifetime enemy. Oh my. Five years? Feels like it's been a decade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home