Eclipses and Ellipses

Put your ear to a life, any life, and there it is, the tell-tale tremolo, slur and slap of the unexpressed....Language makes me a stranger to my own life, forcing me to speak from both sides of my mouth. --Susan Mitchell, "Self-Portrait with Two Faces"

Monday, April 10, 2006

Stir Crazy and Sunday

Last week was the most enjoyable work week so far. And after three weeks, I finally went out drinking at Stir Crazy with Peachy and a few TDP guys last Friday. We must have had around six buckets too.



(Pensively wondering what to order)



(Brian, Jordan, me, Mark, Peachy)


(strange hand movements)


(Peachy drinking beer from a bucket)


(Peachy, here's a glass, why don't you use it)


(going home in a tipsy blur)

* * * * *

Spent the entire Sunday afternoon in the Katipunan area: had lunch at Fruit Magic, bought Artline pens at National, checked my mail at Internet C@fe, and had my hair cut into a flippy shag (c/o Chris at Azta). Dunkin Donuts was boarded up, gone the way of Eyrie and Xavier Grille, and I couldn't help but miss it: the donuts, the free crosswords, the refuge it gave me and a few others this year.

I passed by Loyola Memorial Park on the way home and visited the grave of my cousin Winkle for the first time since the funeral last January. Someone had just been there: he or she had left roses and two candles burning. There were so many candles burning on separate graves at twilight on Palm Sunday.

* * * * *

I suspect the probability that I'll be gone come August has changed the way I deal with people. Though I like the friends I've made at work, I think I'm wary of making close friendships I'll likely be unable to maintain. Yesterday I spent two hours with a good friend and found myself analyzing his behavior, finally able to see him with detachment. Has it begun, the distancing? It shouldn't be this way.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:32 AM, Blogger the city reader said…

    hoy, armando cillemarin, maglink ka ng totoong blog! ahahaha

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger HALIK NG HIGAD said…

    haha. i'm sorry, i'm just blog-hopping. just can't stop laughing at peachy, drinking from that bucket. haven't seen her in a long, long time.
    ned (i don't think you know me)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home