Tequila on a Sunday Afternoon
The first time I ever went drinking with them, I was 12, in grade 6, in 1993. It was New Year's Eve and we were listening to 89.9.'s top 100 (or 40?) countdown of the year's best songs. It was the year of the Cranberries' "Linger," of Def Leppard's "Two Steps Behind," of the 4 Non Blondes' "What's Up". I distinctly remember that "Heyayeaah-heyayay" in the background while I took my first swig of tequila, felt its thick heat down my throat, and thought I was exhaling fire. I remember wanting to be in high school or in college too, certain that life had thrills and misadventures in store for me. Before surprise babies, before marriage plans, before suicide attempts (and one success), we had this communion, we passed the shots around, we drank past the songs and the laughter and the firecrackers, until everything turned quiet again.



2 Comments:
At 2:01 AM,
fanboy420 said…
My first time getting drunk was on a beach in Quezon listening to a cassette tape of Cutterpillow by the Eraserheads. I was thirteen and I wanted to grow the fuck up. Good times.
At 12:28 AM,
the city reader said…
thirteen-year-olds are in such a hurry to grow up, ano? yep, good times indeed. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home