Eclipses and Ellipses

Put your ear to a life, any life, and there it is, the tell-tale tremolo, slur and slap of the unexpressed....Language makes me a stranger to my own life, forcing me to speak from both sides of my mouth. --Susan Mitchell, "Self-Portrait with Two Faces"

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Three of my favorite people...


...and a camera-happy waiter who could have just been trying to take a picture of himself in the mirror. Haha.

When I look through the old family photo albums, with pictures chronicling beach trips and Hong Kong vacations, I'm often struck by the people at the edge of the photos. The ones who are rushing past in a blur, who are tiny figures looking out at the shoreline, who are caught in that awkward moment between trying to maneuver themselves out of the frame and attempting to smile just in case the camera does catch them. Those are the people I love. We are all people at the edges of other people's photographs, strangers forever in albums we will never open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home